Optical technicians require an OFM as a handheld tool (it can be compared to multimeters used by electrical technicians). Multiple essential optical characteristics including as loss (dB), optical return loss (dB), length (metres), and power are easily measured by OFMs (dBm). They assist technicians in determining the condition of the fibre optic link and troubleshooting potential difficulties.
Verify optical links in seconds and investigate further automatically when problems are identified. To increase QoS and MTTR, accelerate fibre rollouts, simplify activation procedures, and improve repair robustness.
- Displays fibre link KPIs (length, loss, ORL and power) in under 3 seconds, through single-ended testing
- On-the-spot detection and location of common causes of failures using EXFO’s patent-pending Fault Explorer
- Intelligent device:
– No settings required
– Contextual wavelength auto-selection
– Built-in expertise to interpret link KPIs with patent-pending EXFO Advisor (5-star ranking system)
– Diagnostics with suggested corrective actions
- Built-in power checker and light source
- Standalone go/no-go tester for day-to-day installation/repairs or paired with EXFO’s TestFlow mobile app for cloud-storage and full documentation of your jobs
- Save on cost of ownership: lifetime calibration, no factory returns thanks to our patent-pending Click-Out optical connector
- Rechargeable battery for over 10 hours of use on a single charge
- Verification and troubleshooting of any singlemode fibre link up to 40 km (point-to-point)
- FTTx service activation: GPON, EPON, XGS-PON, 10GE EPON
- FTTx last mile installation and repair, including in-service testing
- Last mile/access network installation and repair
- MDU installation
- Fibre health check-up
- Power level testing
- Insertion loss and ORL testing
- Fibre break location
- Fault identification and location (splices, connectors, macrobends)
Each Optical Explorer comes with:
- (1) soft pouch (GP-3151)
- (1) power adapter (GP-2227 + GP-2269)
- (1) battery (GP-3150)
- (1) wrist strap (GP-3157)
PRO models also include:
- (1) Click-Out optical connector with SC/APC (GP-3152) or SC/UPC (GP‑3153) interface.
Complement your kit with optional spare Click-Out optical connector (PRO models only) and test cord boxes to optimise your Optical Explorer experience.